Thursday, 3 November 2016

Two weeks post op

Well I have survived and here we are two weeks after a total knee replacement on October 20th.

This is my second knee to be replaced, the first was three years ago and different in many ways from this time even with the same surgeon.
Knee #1 meant I was given an epidural which did not work so I then had to have a general anaesthetic which knocked me out for what seem like days.
New knee I was again given an epidural and immediately my right leg went dead but it was the left leg needed deadening so they had to turn me on my side to make it work. So far so good, but then they wheeled me into the operating theatre still wide awake, lights action etc.. I do not want to see this so Sleepy juice was administered and I woke up two hours later in post op.
I don't remember much about the next day other than Physio making me get out of bed!
Zebra legs ! Why do they not have the same colours? I have to wear these for six weeks !

Three nights in hospital and then home, agony getting into the car but with Chris's help I managed it.

  Visitors came and went bringing cards, flowers, colouring books and chocolates. I really do thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Just a few of the many cards I received.

As it was half term Richard brought the girls over on Friday 28 th to carve pumpkins and we had a KFC meal. Although I could not really join in it was lovely to hear the chatter and fun.
Great work girls, and Richard!

Sunday two of the Elders from Church brought me the sacrament and gave me a blessing, which I really appreciated.

Each day Chris helped me do my set exercises and even the smallest improvement felt like winning a gold medal.

Tuesday was the dreaded trip to the start of Physio. Again getting in and out of the car is difficult but we managed to get me there. I had no idea when I was to have my clips or stitches removed so made enquiries. Tom, my Physio, took off the dressing and informed me I had been glued, no clips or stitches to be removed! Last time I think there were about thirty stitches had to be painfully removed.
Amazing what they can do to improve things in just three years.
Tom then re dressed the wind and gently made me bend my knee more... ouch ouch ouch!
He also said I was to walk outside for ten minutes a day.
Flowers to make me smile.

Yesterday I had two visitors in the morning managed to walk a few doors along the street for my ten minutes, and then friends came in the afternoon. A busy day that went quickly, so it was early to bed.

1 comment:

Susan Freeman said...

Diana, so very happy to hear that you are up and moving about. Sorry it is so painful but hopefully each day will be easier and bring less pain.
Warm regards, Susan

What a week of ups and downs

Sunday started so well as I went to church but then I hit an uneven curb in the church yard. The damage did not look too bad but it ruined ...