Friday 19 January 2018

(Backup) The Adventure

I thought it would be nice to go on a train ride, having never been on a Spanish train. 
Chris went along with the idea so we checked out the small train station earlier in the week only to find no one spoke or even wanted to try communicating in English. My Spanish is limited to hello and thank you. In fact the ticket guy seemed quite rude. Determined not to be put off I checked the train times on the internet and wrote them down, then practiced asking for “two senior tickets to Cartagena please” in Spanish. This worked a treat and guy was really helpful. Having obtained our tickets for the costly sun of €9, about £8.50 for two return tickets we boarded the train, which was rather run down looking but had nice comfy seats, and set off for the twenty minty ride to Cartagena.

We had not planned to stay long, as we would need to walk everywhere and my knees start to complain after 2000 to 3000 steps. The day was slightly cooler than yesterday so we set off to walk to the Tourist Information for a map and then the dock area. This turned out to be further than we  thought but it was an interesting walk along side the town walls. Cartagena is full of interesting old buildings, castles, history. We sat watching the boats while I rested my poor old knees.

Consulting the map we decided to head into town and find a place for a snack and drink, we passed an extremely tall glass lift that Chris said he wanted to try, but it would have to wait for another visit. Fortified with a hot chocolate and pastry in a moment of madness I said, it’s not far back we could do the ‘lift thing’. €1 each and we were in the lift going higher and higher, Chris told me the view was wonderful by the time we reached the top I had my eyes closed! We then had to walk across the overhanging passage to the fortified castle hill top, I have never been so pleased to reach solid land!

Having recovered my ‘tall glass lift’ legs it was so interesting, the views were unbelievable in every direction. Churches, Naval boat yard, Submarine caves in the hillside, the ancient bull ring, amphitheatre etc etc... there was also a wonderful water cascade into a pool where three ducks had taken up residence. Mosaics lined one of the paths and peacocks prowled the grounds.

Waiting for the train at Baliscas Station

Our first train ride in Spain
Cartagena ornate Railway Station

Outside the Tourist Information
Fascinating tree roots along side the old town wall.       The dock area
THE glass lift


The view of the bullring  once you arrive at the end of the lift tunnel
A water cascade into the duck pool

I love these tree roots, no idea what the tree is.
The mosaic passageway complete with peacock
One of the many mosaics

The amphitheater and Naval boat yard

Eventually the lift had to be taken again back to earth, it didn’t seem so bad going back down. I have now walked further than I can really cope with so it was a very slow walk back to catch the train and the car ride home. A wonderful adventure and my fit bit says I have walked just over 9000 steps!

No comments:

  Diana's funeral has now been arranged with Hollowells Funeral Directors. If anyone on this blog is interested in attending please go t...