Monday 2 April 2018

St Mary the Virgin, Burton Latimer

Easter Sunday and I had wish to attend the Easter service at St Mary the Virgin, Burton Latimer. Chris agreed to accompany me. This Church has a special place in my heart, although I no longer belong to the Church of England, having converted to The Church of Latter Day Saints some years ago.
My Grandfather, John Thomas ASHBY and his family, lived opposite the church and was the Verger for many years. When it was time for my mother to marry it was just a case of walking across the road on Grandad's arm. 25th March 1940.
Holding her favourite flowers, Arum lilies, Mum walked across the road to marry.

Catherine Mary ASHBY and Stanley Douglas SIMONS
A guard of honour was created by St John Ambulance sisters,
my mother being a keen member of the brigade.

Both my parents are now buried in the church yard, together with my mother's siblings and her parents.  A visit to their graves and my father's commemorative tree made for a day of reminiscence and happy memories.
The family crab apple tree surrounded by daffodils

The many commemorative grave stones of my mother and family

St Mary the Virgin Church

65 Church Street, my Grandfather's and family home.

Grandma and Grandad's burial site in the old cemetery.
A wonderful day of remembrance.


No comments:

  Diana's funeral has now been arranged with Hollowells Funeral Directors. If anyone on this blog is interested in attending please go t...