Tuesday 28 April 2020

The new [OLD] hobby

Today we are having much needed rain, which does not bode well for the new Summer House that is due to arrive any minute!
However I decided I needed something new to do, I think this is part of the Virus, starting too many new projects.

In the dim distant past I was a lacemaker tutor and taught all over the USA, attended workshops in Belgium and France and organised tours for lacemakers. I also taught locally both through the Adult education system and privately.
I retired from all this 16 years ago when I had the opportunity to look after my first granddaughter two days a week, a very special time for me.

My lace pillows were put away and teaching equipment sold, making me enough money to buy a sports car, but that’s another story!

Today I dusted off one of my pillows that still has a piece of simple lace on it, it has taken some serious thinking to remember what I was doing 16 years ago, but I am loving it again.
Most of the bobbins are dated 1980-2000 and tell the story of my lace adventures.
Really pleased I kept the thread I was using with a bag of spare bobbins.

Ps. I still have drawers full of bobbins and equipment that have not seen the light of day for 16 years.


3 comments:

Joeanna said...

Diana,
I have to laugh because I too have taken out my lace pillow recently that has been packed away for sooooo many years. I have a beautiful
Piece of Bucks Point on it but for the like of me I can’t go forward��. I also have the same greenhouse that you just purchased. Great to see all that you are doing. I’m a great grandma now. Her name is Sophia and she’s three !!!!
Joeanna Smith
Easton CT

Joeanna said...

Diana,
I had to laugh because I too have recently taken out my lace pillow which has been packed away for years. I have a lovely piece of Bucks Point on it but just can’t go forward😢. I also have the same greenhouse you just purchased. I’m also a great grandmother now. Her name is Sophia and she’s almost 3!!!! Glad to catch up and see all you’re doing.
Joeanna Smith
Easton CT

Joeanna said...

Diana,
I have to laugh because I too have taken out my lace pillow recently that has been packed away for sooooo many years. I have a beautiful
Piece of Bucks Point on it but for the like of me I can’t go forward��. I also have the same greenhouse that you just purchased. Great to see all that you are doing. I’m a great grandma now. Her name is Sophia and she’s three !!!!
Joeanna Smith
Easton CT

  Diana's funeral has now been arranged with Hollowells Funeral Directors. If anyone on this blog is interested in attending please go t...