Monday 15 September 2014

Day 18 A Sunday adventure

I really wanted to go to church, but the nearest Chapel was 45 minutes away on roads I was not sure of, in a car I am not used to driving (manual and I drive automatic at home) plus the Spainish drive on the right!

Undeturred I set off and forgot on Sunday everyone that owns a racing bike seems to be on the road. The town of Torrevieja is full of narrow winding streets but my Sat Nav (Shaun) got me there OK and I even managed to find a parking spot not too far from the building.

Knowing the service would be in Spanish and I do not speak a word of the language I was prepared to just feel the spirit and enjoy the experience. Was I in for a surprise, I met two Sisters in the hall one an ex-pat from England the other from Holland. I was asked me to sit with the one from Holland and then enjoyed shaking hands and being greeting kissed by everyone.

Another sister sat on the other side of me and "small world" she had lived in Northampton ten years ago and knew some of the people from my home chapel.

The hymn books were of course in Spanish but I had brought my own so at least I could join in the hymns, wrong! the numbers were not the same. To my suprize the English speaking members of the congregation were handed headsets and one of the Missionaries translated the speakers as best he could.

It was a wonderful experience and I was so glad I had made the effort to attend.

 

1 comment:

Christa said...

How wonderful. On our trip of four weeks (just came back) we must have been in dozens of churches but no service. How special for you.

  Diana's funeral has now been arranged with Hollowells Funeral Directors. If anyone on this blog is interested in attending please go t...