Friday 30 October 2020

Something old, something new

20 years at least, in the making, I finally have my Stars of the USA quilt ready for the Long Arm Quilter.
When I travelled in the USA teaching I would add the Carol Doak USA star blocks to my collection, trying to make one for each State I visited. I have actually been to 31 different States, but 31 is an odd number so I have 30 Stars in my quilt. They are paper pieced and made from Thimbleberries fabrics, which I also collected on my travels.
Every so often I would get the blocks out and try to think of a way to complete the quilt, only to put them away again.
At one point I decided to ‘quilt as you go’, cut backing fabric and batting, but still there was no progress.

I made myself a promise to finish it this year, and while on holiday a few weeks ago in Louth Lincolnshire I bought the Grunge Gold fabric and made the decision to sash the blocks and get it completed. I also machine embroidered the name of each State on each block in small letters.




This afternoon it went to Janie Rowthorn [janierowthorn@yahoo.co.uk] to be long arm quilted, she always does such a great job, and is based near Wellingborough in Northamptonshire.  I’ll show the quilt again when I have it returned and get the binding sewn on.

Something NEW to me...
Finger knitting myself a hat.





1 comment:

Vera said...

Look forward to seeing the hat when its finished, not tried finger knitting

  Diana's funeral has now been arranged with Hollowells Funeral Directors. If anyone on this blog is interested in attending please go t...